When our son was brand-new, my husband and I agreed I would take the night shift because A) I did not have to work the next day, B) I’m a lighter sleeper and C) [most importantly] I can handle my caffeine. The poor guy (husband, not baby) can hardly function on lack of sleep but also runs around like a crazy person on acid when he has an amount of caffeine I’d consider “weak sauce”. Do not give this man a Red Bull – it’s only 80 mg caffeine (half the caffeine in a Grande PSL) but he will be as hyper as a puppy golden retriever.
The video below includes a portion of GreenEyedGuide’s presentation from California State University-Fullerton, Peer Health University Network meeting. Learn how caffeine content isn’t always what it seems, how consumption changes as people get older and how caffeine helps one focus for exams.
- The graph of caffeine consumption by age comes from a study discussed in detail at https://greeneyedguide.com/2014/01/30…
- The graph was created by Caffeine Informer based on the study above and can be found here: https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-safe-limits
- Peer Health University Network – https://www.instagram.com/phunstagram/
- The caffeine/theanine study referenced can be found at https://greeneyedguide.com/2017/07/28…
Watch the video above to learn how to become an advocate for safe caffeine consumption
Thank you to Cal State Fullerton’s Peer Health Univerity Network for hosting this presentation!
To contact GreenEyedGuide about speaking at your event, use the contact form below:
With school back in session, it’s the perfect time for a refresher course in caffeine. Check out this article I wrote for the Avitae blog!
Don’t miss this article, featuring everything you need to know about caffeine:
- 1-How Caffeine Works
- 2-Natural Sources of Caffeine
- 3-Unnatural Sources of Caffeine
- [Source: Caffeine Informer’s Caffeine Database – https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-in-candy ]
- 4-The Biggest Consumers of Caffeine
- [Source: Caffeine Consumption in the USA (Part I and Part II) – https://greeneyedguide.com/2014/01/29/caffeine-consumption-in-the-usa-energy-drinks-in-the-news/ ]
- 5-Caffeine Limits
- [Source: Caffeine Safe Limits – https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-safe-limits ]
- 6-How Fast Caffeine Is Metabolized
- 7-How Long Caffeine Takes to Kick In
- 8-How Caffeine Gets Absorbed
- [Source: Caffeine Absorption – https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-absorption ]
- 9-Caffeine Side Effects
- 10-Caffeine Benefits
My heart was pounding. I was out of breath, but I felt exhilarated. Something inside me was ready to explode with power, like an ocean wave the second before it crashes.
For me, energy drinks and bodybuilding have a lot in common. I’m not talking about the use of caffeine for a workout. To me, it’s much more than that: I’m a biochemist who studies energy drinks and trains for bodybuilding competitions.
One fine day in the gym I had just finished my warm-up when it happened. My competitive drive collided with the realization that my next bodybuilding competition was only 7 weeks away. Like a rubber band being pulled to the limit or the moment of transition after “for meeeeee” in “Bohemian Rhapsody”, I knew I was about to unleash considerable power. I always have caffeine before my workouts, but this energy surge was something new. I turned my music up two notches, took a deep breath, then launched into my set.
[Internal energy = potential energy + kinetic energy = Yay for Laws of Thermodynamics!]
I was doing a long jump/sideways medicine ball throw circuit. I honestly can’t remember the last time my legs have jumped that far and that fast. At one point my legs were springing from one jump to the next so fast, I thought I’d fall on my face. But I kept pushing forward. During the sideways med ball throws I felt I could have punched a hole in the wall, so I used the metal post of the multi-station instead. This surge of energy stayed with me through my entire workout. I hit a new max for deadlifts and didn’t feel tired like I normally do after plyo-pushups.
For me, hitting a new max in the gym and discovering a new level of strength is very similar to finding a new energy drink. In both scenarios, I feel like I’m acquiring superpowers and the confidence that comes from knowing I can do things that were previously impossible.
I remember the first few times I tried Monster for all-nighters in college: I felt calm and focused despite the fact I was memorizing metabolic biochemical pathways at 3 a.m. I also remember my left bicep would tingle sometimes – not all the time, and not consistently, just like an eye twitch (which I also got when I was stressed: correlation is not causation).
In the gym, a foundation of strength is a prerequisite to the exhilarating energy surge like the one I described above. With energy drinks, the prerequisite is trust in the brand and knowledge of the ingredients. If it’s a brand I know and trust, the science nerd in me gets excited before the caffeine enters my system. When I first laid eyes on Red Bull Purple and Lime sugar-free Editions, I was so excited I literally jumped up and down in the grocery store.
When it’s a new energy drink from a brand I don’t know, or when I don’t understand the logic behind the ingredients, that’s a different story. We’ll save that for Part Two.
- Get your copy of MY BOOK: “Are You a Monster or a Rock Star: A Guide to Energy Drinks — How They Work, Why They Work, How to Use Them Safely”
- SUPPORT ME ON PATREON
Calling all GreenEyedGuide fans in Southern California! I will be speaking at Cal State Fullerton on April 26th, 2017 as part of the COMM Week L.I.F.E. Symposium. I will be discussing “The 5 Levels of Fatigue” and how to use this system to stay healthy, happy, and energized.
This event will take place at the Titan Student Union, Pub (Lower Level), at Cal State Fullerton, at 8:30 pm on Wednesday, April 26th, 2017. Event details are below:
Please come support GreenEyedGuide at this free event!
- Love energy drinks/ coffee/ caffeine? Visit the Energy Drink Guide Facebook page
- Love Fitness + Caffeine? Visit the GreenEyedGuide Facebook page
- Want Energy Drinks + Fitness/Bodybuilding? Visit Instagram
- Share your favorite caffeinated beverage or supplement on Twitter