Science Behind Noo Fuzion - In This Post:
Hi there, I research caffeine, energy drinks, and fatigue in the workplace.
I’ve been passionate about the science behind energy drinks since 2003. After getting my degrees in biochemistry and food science, I wrote a book all about energy drink ingredients and safety concerns.
I’ve always been fascinated by caffeinated beverages, and by some of the energy drink stereotypes and caffeine misconceptions that just won’t go away. As a result, my mission as the “GreenEyedGuide” is to help people who deal with caffeine and fatigue on a regular basis.
Short on Time? This blog post is available in PODCAST form! Listen to this episode of the Caffeine at Midnight Podcast right here or wherever you get your podcasts.
Noo Fuzion Key Ingredients
Noo Fuzion contains carbonated water, a “muscle and energy blend”, natural flavors, a few preservatives, sucralose, and some vitamins and minerals. Here’s what you need to know about the key ingredients.
Essential Amino Acids aka EAAs
Protein Quality and PDCAAS
- Fun fact, protein supplement manufacturers have been sued for treating these isolated amino acids the same as whole protein.
I’ve talked about citicoline before. In fact, I talked about how great it is in my VERY FIRST POST for this blog!
Here’s what you need to know about citicoline.
- Citicoline is the supplement form of a naturally occurring nutrient called CDP-choline, which is found in the brain
- Citicoline increases phosphatidylcholine, which is critical for healthy brain function
- Research shows citicoline helps improve focus and attention
Most of all, Noo Fuzion has an effective dose of Cognizin, meaning the dose matches the dose used in these research papers.
It would be EXTREMELY BAD (as in trouble-with-the FDA bad) for Noo Fuzion to make any kind of suggestions that this drink treats cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s, dementia, or even ADHD.
So instead, let’s just say the Cognizin in Noo Fuzion helps you focus, and there’s a enough data to back up that claim.
- Betaine is naturally found in spinach, quinoa and beets
- Noo Fuzion contains 2,500 mg (2.5 grams) of betaine per can
- Betaine dosages of 2.5 g/day for 14 days to 6 weeks, it’s shown potential to enhance strength-based performance
- Side-effects include nausea and upset stomach so ALWAYS take with food
Noo Fuzion Key Ingredients - The Fine Print
Just like with Cognizin, the benefits with betaine come when you’re taking it every day for several weeks. Unfortunately, you DO NOT want to take Noo Fuzion every single day for weeks. We have to look at the caffeine content to understand why.
Caffeine in Noo Fuzion and Caffeine Comparison
Like Bang Energy, Noo Fuzion contains 300 mg of caffeine per can.
As a reminder, healthy adults should not have more than 400 mg caffeine per day. This is the scientific consensus of several countries. Above 400 mg, the side-effects and health issues outweigh the benefits of caffeine for the majority of the population.
Here’s what the caffeine content of Noo Fuzion looks like compared to a standard cup of coffee, Qualia Mind nootropic supplement, and the #1 best-selling energy drink, Red Bull.
Here's The Problem
When you have the same caffeinated beverage every single day, non-stop, for weeks on end, you’re going to develop a tolerance to caffeine. That means your body will adapt, and the same dose won’t work anymore.
This is why I developed and advocate so strongly for the 5 Levels of Fatigue. For every level, there are different actions you should take and different types of caffeine. In short, this system is a proportionate response to how tired you are. For example, sometimes you’re tired because you’re bored or dehydrated. Water, NOT CAFFEINE, is the answer. Other times, you’re SO tired, only a nap can save you. Thus, having the exact same drink every single day isn’t a good idea because it means caffeine will stop working for you.
Noo Fuzion vs Qualia Mind
Qualia Mind features an arsenal of nootropic ingredients! To go into each and every one is well beyond this post, but if you want to learn more about it, I like THIS review of Qualia Mind from Vaga.org the best
Noo Fuzion is Better Than Qualia Mind Because...
- Qualia Mind has SO many ingredients, it makes me nervous they’re going to interact with each other in unpredictable ways
- Ingredient interactions is one of the reason some people worry about energy drinks more than coffee
- Noo Fuzion is MUCH cheaper than Qualia Mind
- Neither Qualia Mind nor Noo Fuzion can cure or prevent cognitive diseases like Alzheimer’s, so why waste your money if you just want to be alert
Qualia Mind is Better Than Noo Fuzion Because...
- Noo Fuzion has MORE THAN 3 TIMES the caffeine in Qualia Mind
- This is NOT A GOOD THING since this is going to be too much caffeine for the average person
- Drinking Noo Fuzion every day is more likely to give you a caffeine tolerance/dependence than Qualia Mind, for the same amount of “cognitive boost” as the other ingredients (mostly, the Cognizin)
Noo Fuzion vs Red Bull
Red Bull is the #1 best-selling energy drink and it’s the #1 stereotype people imagine when they hear the words “energy drink”.
So how does Noo Fuzion compare?
Noo Fuzion is Better Than Red Bull because...
Noo Fuzion gives you caffeine AND the added bonus of Cognizin, while Red Bull just gives you caffeine
Red Bull is Better Than Noo Fuzion Because...
In my personal (and professional, scientific) opinion, Noo Fuzion has too much caffeine for the majority of the population. You’re better off having Cognizin in pill-form with your daily multivitamins.
In other words, if you’re training for a competition, or IF you regularly work nights or long shifts, then maybe this caffeine is fine for you. Otherwise, this much caffeine EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEK is going to raise your dependence on caffeine and lead to other side-effects like poor sleep, nausea, and anxiety.
Bottom Line and Final Recommendations
If you’re wondering how this drink tastes, I don’t have the answers. Fortunately, my good friend, CaffeineMan, gives you all the details in this excellent YouTube episode.
If you like the taste of Noo Fuzion and you save this drink for those “Energy Emergencies” of Fatigue Level 4, then Noo Fuzion offers more cognitive benefits than Red Bull at a better price than Qualia Mind.
Ultimately, this is not an unhealthy or unsafe drink, as long as you know you can handle this much caffeine.
Do. Not. Drink. This. Every. Day.